L.J. Smith Confirms The Vampire Diaries Firing Rumors

February 9th, 2011 | Posted by Ruthie in L.J. Smith | News

As many of you know, some fan emails surfaced last week from L.J. Smith about how she had been fired from writing The Vampire Diaries. You can read more on this over at Vampire-Diaries.net. Well today, Ms. Smith posted a blog post confirming the rumors. Thanks to @CrissyCalhoun and @tvdnews for the heads up on this.

First, I want to thank my readers for all their messages of support.  I’ve gotten far too many emails to answer, and I really appreciate the kindness and emotional sustenance you’ve given to me at this difficult time.

Second, if you’ve asked me a question about the future books or the endgame of The Vampire Diaries and I’ve been vague about what’s in store, I’d like to take this opportunity to apologize.  I really wasn’t  looking forward to the day when I would have to talk about this.

Third, and most importantly, I want to ask anyone who was thinking of it, not to boycott Harper’s or anyone.  It just doesn’t make sense.  Although I wanted and still want more than anything to be able to continue The Vampire Diaries series myself, there’s no point in not trying the new books.  (And remember, for fans of Bonnie and Damon, and strict Stefan and Elena fans, the immediate dynamics may be more to your liking.)  Besides which, Midnight, which is all mine, is coming out in March, and I believe there may be some of my writing in Phantom.

Thanks again to all the fans who have shown loving and loyal kindness to me.

For more The Vampire Diaries coverage, check out our friends at TV Fanatic

• Liz says:

YES! Damon and Bonnie! I am a Delena fan but I really want some kind of relationship between Damon and Bonnie, it will happen at some point and has to start with friendship.

• kristen says:

So i don’t get it, is she still going to continue the series

• Ruthie says:

I know, her response is vague, isn’t it?

• grace says:

the only damon and bonnie action i would like to see is a growth in their friendship. i’d like her to see a different side of damon. the side that shows he is all about protecting the people he loves or thinks of as sort of friends. most importantly i’d like her to see damons love for elena is as pure and selfless as they come and that he is just as worthy as stefan at having elena’s heart. a good way for their friendship to grow is bonnie admitting to elena the change she has seen in damon and not bashing him anymore in a way helping elena along in what i hope is her journey towards damons love.

• Mary says:

This is actually quite sad to read. As someone who writes a lot, this comes to me as a lesson. But I wish L.J. the best in her future project and can only wonder where TVD will go now.

@Grace
    You seemed to be referring to Bonnie Bennett in your reply. L.J refers to Bonnie McCullough. In the book Bonnie is really not the same as the one in the TV Show. She actually have a good relationship with Damon. The TV Show is actually based on a series of book call Stefan’s diaries which was inspired by TDV, but weren’t written by L.J. But I do approve with you on the point where Bonnie (in the TV Show) needs to be more open-minded when it comes to vampires, but it’s a slow process and it is understandable with everything that she has been through.

@Kristen & Ruthie
    No she isn’t. Midnight which is the third book and last book of the series The Return will be the last book written by her. After that, it won’t be her writing.

After taking a hiatus from writing for several years, L. J. Smith announced in 2007 a new spin-off trilogy entitled The Vampire Diaries: The Return, continuing the series, with Damon as the main protagonist. The first installment, The Return: Nightfall, was released on February 10, 2009. The Return: Shadow Souls was released on May 16, 2010. The final book of the series called The Return: Midnight will be released on March 15, 2011.

The trilogy after The Return trilogy, The Hunters, will go back to featuring Stefan and Elena as the main protagonists and main characters and it will focus on Stefan and Elena et al. going to college. The three novels in The Hunters trilogy are called The Hunters: Phantom, The Hunters: Moonsong, and The Hunters: Eternity.

Basically, we may find some of her writings in the first book, but shw won’t be writing the series. :(

• Inga says:

i wot be bothered even to buy any of the hunters book the only one think i liked in a books is how elenas and damons love will blosom but now…. i bet its going to be boring

• lauren says:

i bet that damon will be brought back to life like elena